Los Angeles County has filed a lawsuit against Roblox, alleging that the popular online gaming platform failed to adequately protect children from sexual exploitation and abuse, USA TODAY reported yesterday.
The complaint, filed on Thursday, Feb. 19, claims the company knowingly maintained a platform design that exposed minors to harmful interactions.
According to county attorneys, hundreds of thousands of Roblox users within Los Angeles County are minors. The complaint asserts that Roblox understood the risks posed to young users yet failed to implement reasonable and readily available safety measures. Among the alleged deficiencies are the absence of robust age verification systems and what the county describes as a lack of meaningful parental controls.
The lawsuit further contends that Roblox’s platform design “makes children easy prey for pedophiles” and accuses the company of prioritizing “user growth, revenue and eventual profits over child safety.” Attorneys argue that certain safety features introduced by Roblox were “belated” and “inadequate.”
Roblox strongly disputed the allegations. In a statement, a company spokesperson said, “Roblox is built with safety at its core, and we continue to evolve and strengthen our protections every day. We have advanced safeguards that monitor our platform for harmful content and communications, and users cannot send or receive images via chat, avoiding one of the most prevalent opportunities for misuse seen elsewhere online.”
The company added that it takes “swift action” against users who violate safety rules and works closely with law enforcement to support investigations and hold “bad actors accountable.”
County officials characterized the case as part of a broader concern about online child safety. County Counsel Dawyn R. Harrison said, “This is not about a minor lapse in safety. It is about a company that gives pedophiles powerful tools to prey on innocent and unsuspecting children. The trauma that results is horrific, from grooming to exploitation to actual assault. This needs to stop.”
The complaint seeks court ordered changes requiring Roblox to adopt stronger safeguards aimed at preventing harm to minors. It also alleges that Roblox falsely assured the public that its platform was safe for children.
Roblox has faced similar allegations in other jurisdictions. Last year, Louisiana announced a lawsuit accusing the company of intentionally failing to implement safety controls designed to protect minors. Reuters reported that Roblox has been named in dozens of lawsuits alleging the platform knowingly facilitated child sexual exploitation.
In prior public statements, Roblox has rejected claims that it intentionally placed users at risk. The company said, “Any assertion that Roblox would intentionally put our users at risk of exploitation is simply untrue. No system is perfect, and bad actors adapt to evade detection, including efforts to take users to other platforms, where safety standards and moderation practices may differ.”
Los Angeles County officials encouraged parents to report concerns or experiences involving Roblox to the county’s Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Roblox, in turn, directed parents to its Safety Center for information about platform protections and available parental tools.
State & Government Actions Targeting Roblox
• Louisiana
• Kentucky
• Texas
• South Carolina
• Iowa
• Tennessee
• Georgia
• Los Angeles County
Roblox Lawsuits and Survivor Resources
Allegations involving online platforms and the safety of minors continue to emerge. Learn more about the claims, legal developments, and what survivors and families should know.
Visit the Roblox Lawsuit Guide
If you are ready to explore your legal options, you may request a free case review by completing the confidential, secure form below.



